Sheesham wood furniture is very popular in India which is commonly known as Dalbergia Sisso wood as well. It is a deciduous tree that grows across the length and breadth of the sub-Himalayan region. The tree best grows in pure sand and gravel and soil of riverbanks. Sheesham wood ranges from brown to golden colour with rich and lustrous appearances. The wood is sturdy, tough with straight wooden grains with texture ranging from medium to coarse with a natural lustre.
Sheesham wood has an innate resistance to decay and is popular for woodcarving and for engraving techniques. The wood doesn’t warp or split making it very functional for solid wood furniture. It is a highly durable wood which offers great resistance to dry wood termites. The wood shines under polishing and has a smooth finish. One can use the wood to make doors and windows while the root of the wood is used for making tobacco pipes.
It is difficult to differentiate Sheesham for other woods. One can easily checks the authenticity if Sheesham wood with the following comparisons:
- Sheesham wood comes in 2 colours while mango wood is in light golden and acacia wood is in white and slightly red colour.
- Sheesham is medium weight wood, while acacia is heavyweight and mango is lighter in weight
- Mango trees grow as high as the Sheesham to about 30 meters and have a similar diameter of a maximum of 1.5 meters. The Mango tree is treated differently from Sheesham in that the former produces fruit, so it is allowed to live its life as a fruit-bearing tree. When it stops bearing fruit, it is cut and its wood is used for timber. Also, mango wood is softer in texture and comes with intricate patterns. It is also easy to cut, carve, and shape. However, it is highly prone to fungi.
- Teak wood has high oil content, tight grain, and tensile strength have made it unique and important for the manufacturing of furniture especially countertops, indoor flooring, carving, and cutting boards. Teak wood can be used in areas having high moisture content as it has a low shrinkage ratio.
- Sheesham is the best wood to work with medium density, acacia is hardwood and difficult to bend to furniture.
Sheesham is a smart choice when it comes to making good quality solid wood furniture. The wood is very durable and lasts for generations. It is decay resistant and highly resistant to dry wood termites. One can also use the wood to make plywood and veneers, flooring, carving, turning, and making musical instruments.
Hope Now it's clear, still, if you have doubts then you can contact us at-